When Ravelry’s database put my stash count at 192 skeins (including braids of fibre), I thought nothing much of it – it was just another figure.
That all changed recently…well, after this morning actually. I have managed to filled in at least six boxes of varying sizes (the smallest being around 120 x 150 x 200 mm to the largest nearly 480 x 600 x 800 mm). Of course a good three of them contain my shop stock so I can’t really count it as just for stash but still, with the ziplock-vacuum pack thing, those 192 skeins finally materialised.
Nil finds it amusing that I have little inkling as to the amount of stash I have. He being a non-knitter (and obviously someone who doesn’t understand the obsession some people have about yarn stashing) sees things more clearly than myself I guess. But then again, this is someone who is willing to drive to Germany to buy beer if given the chance. Granted though it’s not far – about two hours by car.
I did try my luck when he said he was thinking of making the trip there with Dad – the ever sought after Wollmeise yarns are now making their appearance in the form of a real life store but alas, Nil would only be crossing the border instead of heading inward (and this store is located in the Bavarian area).
O’well, I have another three medium sized bags to go but I think I’ll probably give those away instead of sending it to Singapore. We’ll see how it goes. After my stash, the only thing left would be my clothes, books (knitting, cookbooks and such) plus things like my shoes and all. I might donate some of my older clothes and shoes but yeah…talk about stashing yarn and fibres.
Definitely need to run a “knit from stash” thing once they are out of them boxes!
Before I get to the real subject at hand, I need to ask – are external (and/or portable) hard disk better than flash memory stores? My external hard disk is nearly full and my flash memory drives are, well, full as well. So which is preferable?
While my current project is in the works – I’m awaiting for some dye-setting solution to come since one of the fabrics bleeds a little and I don’t fancy my ivory borders turning lilac or lavender (light purple) – this came in the mailbox. YAY for the postman! I ordered these a while back since someone on Facebook remarked that I don’t seem to have any fabrics in cold colours. Now I just need to complete my stash with some green! LOL.
The fabrics are one yard each and of course, 100% cotton from a variety of producers/designers. I actually love the Japanese/Asian print even though Nil finds it a bit tad too much – it goes perfectly with the blue and violet co-ordinates. I’m planning to do a strip pattern with these colours but the fabric set isn’t complete – am in the middle of expecting another two to three yards in purple co-ordinates to come in the mail.
Anyway, I won’t get started on these fabrics until I reach Singapore so chances are it’ll just be sitting in my stash till then. Won’t even think about the quilt top pattern in detail and such. 8)
This arrived a couple of days ago from a shop here in Switzerland called Cotton & Color (I have another four meters or more coming in from the US – hopefully, I won’t get taxed for them (I shouldn’t because it costs less than the CHF65 tax-free threshold)). I picked about six different co-ordinating fabrics for my next project which will feature a log cabin pattern but one of the problems about buying fabric from a store via the Net, especially fabric on sale is that the said fabric could run out before the person reaches your order.
So I end up missing out on one of the fabrics – a dark plum red – but these five are still do-able. I placed another order to replace the missing colour and this time, decided to pick two hues from the same group. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the store will have them in stock AND they’ll go well with these.
In the meantime, I’ve started piecing fabrics for Quilt #3 and with any luck, I should be done with the entire 40 blocks by this weekend! Wahou!