If I have been silent for a while, it is because we are still in the midst of settling down here in Penang.
I’m typing this from our hotel room in Penang – there was no electricity in the apartment until the day of the handover so many things such as the dishwasher, washing machine, fridge, and even cupboards, wardrobe and bed were still uninstalled (no electricity means no power tools, etc). Then we got hit by another “news”. Our mattresses won’t arrive until Saturday at the earliest! The only person with a mattress would be Noah in his crib. Gah.
Nil started work on Monday so I had to play chauffeur on top of entertaining the kids in the hotel room, scouting around for things for the house – little things like cleaning tools and solutions, safety gate & latches for the windows AND sliding door (we’re on the 18th floor so I’m taking no chances!), rubbish bins, bags, clothes, sponges… I barely even have enough time to clean my pc – it’s awfully slow!
On top of that, the Internet isn’t set up yet so that means no cable or online time for me until next week. But no matter, I reckon I’ll have quite a bit of things to do – cleaning is the first thing on my list. Laundry is another (we need a laundry stand for the balcony). I need to fix up some way to make the roller blinds in the kids’ room darker but that’s not on the top of my list…at least not for now. Hopefully we’ll be all settled in by next week!
*keeps fingers crossed*
This was a last minute bake in an attempt to clear out the fridge and I did this prior to the move back to Malaysia. Due to all the hoohah and craziness of moving itself, finding an apartment here in M’sia and what-not, the entry never made the light of day till now. Between then till now, I have forgotten many things except that the kids (and hubby) enjoyed this and that it was just right.
Citrus crunch cream cheese pound cake
Adapted from Joy the Baker’s recipe here
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
Zest & juice from 1 orange
Approx 300 gms cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of chopped almonds
Slightly under 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tbsps poppyseed
- Preheat your oven at 160 C and prepare a loaf or square pan of your choice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder before setting aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the zest to the sugar and rub in before setting aside. Beat the butter and cream cheese until they are evenly mixed before adding in the sugar and zest mix. Beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add in the egg, one at a time, before adding in the vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Once ready, add in the flour, poppyseed, chopped almonds and dessicated coconut before folding in until the flour is just incorporated (it’s okay if the mixture is lumpy or looks floury)
- When ready, pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 60 mins. Test with a skewer for doneness – a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean, or with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from the oven to cool in the pan and enjoy as is or with a cup of tea. Great for kids too!