After some weeks of monitoring my calorie intake, I decided to indulge a little plus I needed to use up some pantry goods, especially my whole wheat flour and dark chocolate. Initially I wanted to whip up a banana brownie but since the kids are going through a “crazy about peanut butter” phase, I decided to try out a new recipe. It took about 25 minutes to whip everything up and I did it while the kids were taking their evening bath/going through their wind-down activity. By the time Eva came out of the bathroom, the brownie was in the oven baking away and she settled on licking the spatula. Tehehehe.
There is something sinful about the salty crunch of the peanut in the peanut butter topped off with some amazing chocolate goodness. Eva enjoyed her 1.5 slices and Noah? He actually protested when I took my time feeding him the cake! This brownie came out a little cakey so if you like yours fudgy and chewy, bake it for only 30-35 minutes tops.
Peanut butter swirl brownies
120 gms butter
170 gms dark chocolate chips/pieces/chunks
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup muscovado sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
(B) Peanut butter swirl
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
60 gms butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and prepare a pan of your choice.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in a bain marie. Once done, set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well before adding in the eggs, vanilla extract and the melted chocolate mix. Fold gently by hand until well incorporated.
- Pour into a pan and set aside. Mix the ingredients for (B) in a bowl until they are well-incorporated. Pour over the brownie batter and swirl in. Take care not to overswirl – you may lose the contrast of the light brown and dark brown colours.
- Bake for 45 mins. Once ready, remove from the oven and cool in the pan completely before slicing the brownies. Enjoy on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!