Contents | Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Palm Oil (Elaeis guineensis)(*), Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Bamboo Charcoal, Rice Powder, Fragrance.
Sample bar weight: Approx 63 gms (start of curing)
Full bar weight: Approx 115 gms (start of curing)
Curing completion date | 20 March
Visit the soap store here for more info on the ingredients.
* Ingredients sourced from sustainable and/or organic farming
I wanted to experiment with embeds – cubes, to be exact and used sample bars from my previous soaps. Because I don’t use oxides or micas as a colorants, I didn’t have a lot of choice – my soaps are mostly tan, creamy yellow, black-brown or light green. So I settled with tan and creamy yellow. I tossed in some Japanese bamboo charcoal, reducing the amount. The last time I added in 50% more and had a crappy time washing things out. This time, clean-up was easy but as you can see, the colour is not very strong. Still, I like the combination (reminds me of pandora beads jewellery!) even though I’m tempted to go for a full-on black next time.
I also added in some rice powder, a traditional Asian beauty ingredient. Rice powder not only brightens skin but also has moisturizing and water retaining effects on the skin. It is alleged to help increase the production of collagen for younger looking skin.
This is my third loaf using fragrance oils at trace and it went ultra thick within minutes. I barely had time to pour it into my mould and toss in my soap cubes before pouring in the next layer. I wasn’t even pouring the top layer on! It was more like scooping and trying to smooth and smoosh everything together. While thick trace allows me to get peaks as you can see from the picture above (I spritzed the entire log with 90% alcohol to prevent thick layers of ash but I still got some ash anyway – no biggies, it adds that rustic appearance), it also means that I got some air pockets as you can see below. It’s just an aesthetic/appearance thing. The soap will still do its job, just doesn’t look all that “perfect” especially when one side of the soap has no air pockets and the other side does. Heh.
I might be taking a break from soapmaking as Nil has left for Poland and that means I’m alone with the kids for 10 days. I have to play catch-up with my other hobbies, particularly my knitting. My WIPs are starting to pile up and I really do need to finish Eva’s sweater. She won’t be able to wear it this season so hopefully I’ll be able to get it done in time for spring.