Now that I’m into my fourth log, I’m seriously rethinking a few things. Some planning is in order lest I get lost (no commercial gps for soapmaking unfortunately!).
For starters, I’d like to keep things simple with my soaps in terms of colours and additives. Am looking to head towards an all-natural direction with my colours. This means sticking to either clays or spices like turmeric, paprika or flowers and fruit to add colour to my soaps. So you won’t be seeing things like funky purple or electric blue.
I’ve been getting a lot of my fragrances and essential oils from overseas so will opt for a local supplier to keep things low plus nothing too fancy. I actually prefer to use essential oils instead of fragrance as they lend more value to a soap than just scenting it. (I will retain chocolate, coffee, vanilla and honey as part of my fragrance collection though – they are just too yummy to kick out!)
In terms of what to add to my soaps, I am thinking of going along the line of “what’s in my pantry”. These include:
- Tea (green, fruit/herb infusions – am drawn to this tea to help with sleeping)
- Rice (basmati, long grain)
- Grains, nuts and beans (chickpeas, lentils, coffee, almond meal, oatmeal, etc)
- Fruit (coconut, bananas, limes, mandarins, lemon, berries, etc)
- Vegetables (cucumber, tomatoes, etc)
- Herbs and spices (cinnamon, clove, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, lemongrass, basil, etc)
- Milk (goat’s milk, breastmilk – have about 2 L of the stuff in my freezer, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc)
Appearance-wise, I’d like to try embeds like soap balls and soap cubes along with layering and swirling again although I must say that the overall one colour, simple soap attracts me far more than multi-coloured ones.
So far, no real theme yet to my soaps. Perhaps in the near future. Right now, it’s all just about experimenting and trying out new things!