“Orange Vanilla Choco Terrine” Soap v1.0 (Superfat)

"Orange Vanilla Choco Terrine" Soap

“Orange Vanilla Choco Terrine” Soap v1.0 (Superfat)
Contents | Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Water, Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera)(*), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii)(*), Sodium Hydroxide, Sweet Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Fragrance, Goat’s Milk Powder, Cocoa Powder.

Curing completion date | 25 February

Visit the soap store here for more info on the ingredients.

* Ingredients sourced from sustainable and/or organic farming

While the scent and overall components of the soap is fine, the construction and technique requires more work. I am beginning to notice the tiny air bubbles – an annoyance when stirring with a too strong stick blender (must turn power down for the next one). The layering was an issue as 1) I wasn’t patient enough to wait, 2) didn’t use a spoon/spatula when pouring the second layer on top (hence me breaking through the first layer – very obvious in some bars (see pic below)), 3) some bars have the embeds and some don’t (I reckon it has something to do with the trace factor of my first batter) and 4) the sprinkle of cocoa powder wasn’t done properly (should use a sieve for this). While the resulting bars are still okay, there are some bars with pockets of “wet” cocoa powder. I hope they’ll dry while the bars are curing.

In terms of volume, these bars are a lot bigger than the previous ones. I went from a 500 gm recipe to 700 gms and I used my Mitre soap box plus new cutter to cut the loaf up into bars. As a result, I went from smallish 11 bars to rather substantial nine bars with two thin ends. Why I say smallish is now that they are reaching their 4th week of curing, they are rather light after having lost water (and hardening in the process). With any luck, I’m hoping that my new soap mould will yield a good-sized bar that will fit the palm better – these, I think, are a bit chunky for me but reckon they should be okay for the kitchen or handwashing.

I’ll try stamping these later – after looking through some rustic decor ideas – as well as tomorrow just to experiment with the timing as well as the outcome of stamping. Nothing fancy – just a “faire a la main” (handmade) stamp I bought when I first got my supplies. 🙂

UPDATE: Stamping soaps right after unmoulding – bad bad idea. Soap stuck to the stamp and nearly fell apart (I practised on a tiny sliver). Will see what happens if I stamp it on Friday. Hm.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Stamped the soap 1 day after cutting (Thurs – 26 Jan) – HURRAH! It was much better. I tried stamping it again on Friday (27 Jan) and the bar cracked! Argh. Need to go buy a block of wood and a mallet.

"Orange Vanilla Choco Terrine" Soap: Cut bars

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *