This recipe is long overdue and I have forgotten any notes except for how spring it is – almost like cheese bread! And now back to my regular programming of assignments like yakima bike rack.
Wholemeal cheesy muffins
From Muffins, Scones & Teabakes by Periplus
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
60 gms butter, melted (unsalted)
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp French mustard
extra shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 °C and prepare a muffin pan by lining it with paper cups.
- Sift the flours together in a large bowl and stir in the cheese. If your wholemeal flour is rather coarse, sift only the self-raising flour.
- Combine egg, butter, milk and mustard and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mix gradually and fold – not stir or beat – until all the ingredients are just moistened. A lumpy dough is absolutely fine as a smooth batter can result in a dense muffin.
- Spoon each batter evenly into each muffin tin – two thirds full – and sprinkle extra grated cheese over the tops. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm or freeze to keep for another day.