…topped off with some yummy fresh passion fruit and cheesecake for dessert!
Dinner today was a first-time (again) for me. I am not really a fan of leek (well, you hardly get it in Malaysia) and lets just say that quiche or anything pastry-like is not a big hit in the house. Still, I thought it would be nice to try and make this dish, just to see how it would go. Initially, I toyed with the idea of using bacon and mushroom but found it typical and seeing leeks on sale were, well, intriguing.
So yes, my mind was made up. Smoked salmon, leeks and mushroom it was… I start preparing this dish about an hour before the actual baking – the pastry spent most of its time sitting in the fridge as I chopped up mushrooms, salmon and leeks while watching Carolyn Bigsby (sp?) take a store hostage. Desperate Housewives Season 3, in case you’re wondering…
It turned out surprisingly yummy, leeks, that is. A little bit onion-y during preparation but once I cooked it, it was very sweet and tasty. Definitely a keeper on my veg list!
Smoked salmon, leek and mushroom quiche
Fresh button mushrooms
200ml cream fraiche
1/4 cup of milk
Grated Gruyère cheese (strong)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the dough by rubbing the butter into the flour with the tip of your fingers, producing a breadcrumb-like texture. Slowly add in the water and mix until a dough is formed. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Cut and halve the leeks into 1 1/2 inch slices, coarsely dice the mushrooms, and chop up the smoked salmon.
- In a pan/pot, saute the leeks and mushrooms with some olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. Once the leeks soften, turn off the fire and place aside to cool.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out until it reaches the appropriate size (this depends on the size of your pan). Cover, trim off the excess, poke holes into the bottom with a fork and place in a preheated oven at 190 C to bake for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, pour in the cream fraiche, eggs, salt and pepper to taste and whisk until well-mixed.
- Pour in the milk and stir well.
- When the pastry is cooked, remove and add the filling in this order – leek & mushroom, smoked salmon, cream fraiche + egg mix and lastly the Gruyere cheese.
- Bake in the oven at the same temperature for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve fresh from the oven with salad or as it is.