Since I arrived, Nil had been bugging me to cook this dish! So yesterday, we made a trip to the one of the two Asian stores in Neuchatel to stock up on some Asian goodies.
And it was then that I decided to churn out a variation of the rather spicy and onion-y Kung Po chicken. Back home, you can switch to other meats and even seafood instead of sticking to chicken – my favourite so far? Kung Po squid!!!!!!!!!!!! Vegetarians can opt to use tofu – it works very well too!
Kung Po turkey with cashew nuts
Turkey meat – cubed
10 dried chillies – less if it’s too hot (soaked and seeded)
2 onions – quartered
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp Cointreau/brandy/cooking wine
1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Cointreau/brandy/cooking wine
Pinch of salt
- Marinate turkey meat with (A) for at least one hour.
- Using a wok/frying pan, fry the turkey cubes until golden brown. Remove and place aside.
- Fry onions and dried chillies until fragrant. Add the earlier fried turkey cubes and cashew nuts followed by the seasoning. If needed, thicken with cornflour and water.
- Serve hot with rice and other side dishes.