…food and oh what glorious food it was!!!
First up was the caramel brown pain demi mi-blanc or half semi-white bread. Nil doesn’t quite fancy bleached flour and here in Switzerland, they have at least five different types of flours for making all sorts of breads. One of them is what they call mi-blanc which looks like white bread but it is not quite fully bleached.
I am looking forward to expanding my recipes to include nuts, veg and even ham for savoury breads, and raisins or dried fruits plus nuts for its other sweeter counterpart.
The outcome was quite satisfactory even though the crust wasn’t exactly as brown as I had anticipated it to be – I ended up browning the entire loaf in the oven for another 15 minutes – but the texture is lovely, slightly denser than what the boulangerie churns out but still as yummy!
For dinner, we had some good old-school Yau Mei Fan or Flavoured Rice; old-school because my mother used to do this and I even called her to ask her for a refresher on the steps. Wasn’t exactly sure what to do but we got it down to pat anyway.
Do take care with this dish because while it’s cooking, the aroma is heavenly – a cross between prawns, mushrooms and sweet sweet oyster sauce. Ahhhh….
Yau Mei Fan
Chicken (how much depends on how much rice you cook)
Handful of chinese mushrooms (soaked until soft and sliced thinly)
Chinese sausage and smoked pork belly – diced
Water (for cooking the rice)
- With a mortar & pestle (or any other contraption), mash the ginger into a bowl (retain its juice) and add oyster sauce, soya sauce and white pepper.
- Chop the chicken into bite sizes (nothing too small) and toss together with the prepared marinate and mushrooms.
- Cover and place aside in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight.
- Wash the rice and place aside while you prepare the chicken.
- In a pan or wok, fry some shallots or fried shallots with some oil before tossing in the chinese sausage and smoked pork belly. Fry until fragrant.
- Then toss in the rice and mix well for at least two to three minutes.
- Pour everything into the rice cooker pot and mix in the chicken & mushroom. Add water as per the usual and cook.
- When cooked, dish out, garnish with spring onions and serve hot with either sliced chillis or chill sauce.