It has been quite some time since I last had lamb and since the local store had a sale off lamb, we decided to buy a whole chunk suitable for only one thing – roast lamb – and nothing else. Of course, I could slice them into thinner bits... But I had been hankering to try my hand at roasting something.
Yup, this is my first try at roasting ANYTHING, much or less lamb, and it was a pleasant surprise. Nil enjoyed every last bit – he has decided to take the rest for lunch tomorrow!
Roast lamb and potatoes
Approximately 300gms (or more) lamb (shoulder/chunk/leg)
Coarse black pepper
Half a lemon
Two sprigs of rosemary
Potatoes for two
- Score the surface of the lamb in a crisscross manner and pat dry.
- Prepare the marinate by crushing black pepper, salt and rosemary in a mortar. Sprinkle all over the lamb and rub into the flesh.
- Dump the lamb into a ziplock bag/container and squeeze out the lemon juice onto the lamb. Throw the lemon into the bag/container.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 1.5 hours.
- Prepare the potatoes by washing them clean and then wrapping them in aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C for 15 minutes. Place the lamb in a pan and cover with foil before putting it the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil, baste and brush some honey onto the surface before putting it back into the oven. Turn the temperature down to 170 C.
- Bake for 1 to 1.5 hours; remember to baste and turn the lamb every 30 minutes.
- In the last 1 hour, place the potatoes at the bottom of the oven. When done, turn off the oven and set the lamb and potatoes aside to rest.
- Approximately 15-30 minutes before serving, remove the foil from the potatoes and quarter them. Place the potatoes in the same pan as the lamb and place in an oven with the grill option turned on (to help brown potatoes).
- Once the potatoes brown, dish out and serve with mustard, pepper and salt to taste.
Ohyes, I made some changes to the text style in the photos…just because it’s going to be spring…and warm…and well, flowers everywhere!!!